Tuesday 13 January 2009

Science & Islam Title Lettering for the BBC


I was asked to work on a title for the new three part TV series for the BBC, Science & Islam.

It's a fascinating series tracing the scientific renaissance that took place in the medieval Islamic world. It's a personal journey for the physicist Jim Al-Khalili as he travels through Syria, Iran, Tunisia and Spain narrating the story.

I worked with talented designer Nicky Thompson at Creative Saints to help put together the animated title sequence which involved multiple layers of lettering and decorative elements. I always enjoy collaborating on projects but I have to admit that seeing my work in motion added an extra element of excitement!

The series can be seen this January on BBC4 or you can catch up with the series on the wonderful BBC iplayer. There's also a book published to accompany the series that uses the same title lettering.

2 comments:

  1. Ruth,
    I saw 'Science and Islam' in Arabic swirling and serpentine lines getting transformed into your final title. Its - as you said - a fascinating and exciting experience to see your own work dancing and floating before your eyes.
    Even I got excited so I can tell...

    Regards,
    Prakash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Prakash - it's always good to experience new media - I hope to work with moving image more in future. Best, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.