Thursday 23 May 2013

Demonstrating at ScrapbookLive


A couple of weeks ago I demonstrated calligraphy at ScrapbookLive at the Griffin Gallery, London, an event organised by my agent, Illustration Ltd. The evening had a real buzz with a large gallery full of artist and clients, five of us demonstrating our various disciplines and art-savvy journalist, Garrick Webster interviewing illustrators throughout the evening. DJ Dirty Freud (aka musician/poet Danni Skerritt) kept us listening throughout the evening and added to the party atmosphere.


I exhibited some prints and a range of 3D letters created specifically for the event. You can see me here looking irrationally proud of my pink marker (although if you've never tried the new Liquitex paint markers you have a treat in store for you). The photographer for the evening was Deborah Lott, who captured the excitement of the evening beautifully through her lens. Below is a one of the larger letters I exhibited, it stands at 60cm and is decorated front and back to work with the Midsummer Night Dreams illustrations on the wall. I collaborated with the lovely Ruth at Infinite Group, who guided me through the laser cutting process and gave me invaluable advice on materials. 


On the night we heard from Ben Tallon about Xpress, an awareness campaign on behalf of CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably) and the staggeringly high suicide rate amongst young British men. You can read more about his mission in this interview and if you would like to express your support - buy the album here via this link too (I can recommend it).

The evening was impressively organised by Vicky and the team at Illustration Ltd and curated by talented fashion illustrator, Montana Forbes - who also gets points for wearing the fiercest shoes of the evening. My agent is planning more of these evenings, so if you're London based or just happy to travel, follow them online on Twitter @Illustrationweb. They should also be posting video of the event - illustrator interviews as well as demonstrations (and if we're lucky the aforementioned shoes).

I'll be posting more close ups of the 3D letters on my sister site for personal work: A Word in Your Eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.